Winning picture by Megan
Corona Virus – COVID-19
This page contains information and advice for Gypsy, Roma and Traveller communities in Wales.
If you need advice or support linked to the Corona Virus please call our FREEPHONE 0808 802 0025 and leave a message – our offices are closed at the moment but we are all still working and one of the team will ring you back.
Read the Travellers Times Special Edition for Wales on the Corona Virus HERE
Corona Virus rules in Wales are different to the rest of the UK.
There are Local Coronavirus Restrictions and Lockdowns within Wales for Bangor, Blaenau Gwent, Bridgend, Caerphilly, Cardiff, Conwy, Denbighshire, Flintshire, Llanelli, Merthyr, Neath Port Talbot, Newport, Rhondda Cynon Taf, Swansea, Torfaen, Vale of Glamorgan and Wrexham – more details here
- The main restrictions currently are:
• people will not be allowed to enter or leave the locked down areas without a reasonable excuse
• people will no longer be able to form, or be in, an extended household (sometimes called a “bubble”)
• this means meeting indoors with anyone who is not part of your household (people you live with) is not allowed at the moment, unless you have a good reason, such as providing care to a vulnerable person
• all licensed premises have to stop serving alcohol at 10pm
• people must work from home wherever possible
• For anyone outside your extended household, you must continue to only see them outdoors and keep a 2m distance. This will help to reduce the risk of spreading coronavirus.
• Read the Welsh Government Coronavirus (Covid 19) Guide here
Keep Wales safe:
– Keep social distancing – stay 2 metres apart from people you don’t live with
– keep washing your hands – more than usual
– work from home if you can
– Stay at home if you or anyone in your extended household has symptoms:
– a high temperature
– a new, continuous cough
– loss or change to your sense of smell or taste
Ring 111 if you cannot cope with your symptoms at home, your condition gets worse, or your symptoms do not go away after 7 days
Call 999 in a life threatening emergency
If you have symptoms you should apply for a free TEST by calling 119 or get in touch with us if you need help or advice on testing 0808 802 0025
Click HERE to read or listen to some Corona Virus advice from Friends, Families and Travellers especially if you live on a site or roadside.
Read down for Welsh Government’s guidance to councils to support Gypsy & Traveller families on sites and if you are travelling.
This video gives some basic advice in a film made by London Gypsies and Travellers
Travelling Ahead has two new Facebook Community Groups to provide information and support at this time
Welsh Government has sent out new advice to councils across Wales to make sure Gypsy and Traveller families on sites or roadside are supported while the Covid-19 pandemic is on:
- This includes making sure families on sites have support – no one should be evicted at this time
- Support and advice to keep well and help if anyone gets ill and can’t go out to get electric top up, shopping or to buy essentials
- If you are roadside or travelling the council should make sure you have got services like toilets and washing facilities and you can stay in one place to keep safe if you need to
- You can read this Welsh guidance here or call us on our Freephone 0808 802 0025 if you have any questions or need help to talk to the council in your area
Corona virus has made things difficult for everyone – you may be entitled to help and support with rent, bills, benefits even if you are normally self employed and emergency payments – get in touch with us – we can help – its always confidential 0808 802 0025
Coronavirus – check what benefits you can get because of coronavirus
Other advice on Covid 19 – Corona Virus
Click HERE for more advice from FFT if you are vulnerable and need to ‘shield’
Travellers’ Times have produced lots of videos to answer questions and worries about Corona Virus or Covid-19 – you can see them HERE
Traveller Movement has put together these useful fact sheets during Covid-19:
Information to contact people in prison
Domestic Abuse Support
If you are looking for information helpful for Roma communities in different languages have a look at our page here ( Link EUSS Covid page )
You can find Covid 19 guidance translated into over 60 different languages here